Friday, July 23, 2010

Sex, Lies, and Videotape

View Date: 11/30/09

This movie by Steven Soderbergh is the story of a sexually repressed woman who learns that her husband is having an affair with her sister. When an old friend of her husband comes to town, she is drawn to him and learns his secrets, particularly about a certain sexual fetish he has.

I realize that was a really poor summary for this interesting movie. One of the main things I noticed about it was the lack of background music. I felt that it heightened the acting and dialog, and made the movie a bit more unusual.

I had been told that this was one of James Spader’s creepiest roles before having seen it. I actually feel this was one of his least cruel roles he played early in his career. He was consistently known as a heel or bad guy, and still plays those characters well. But I kind of liked his character, and admired his conviction for telling the truth even when difficult.

Overall, I appreciated this movie. I don’t think I would have as much if I had seen this earlier in my life, but it sat well with me now. I saw the artistic value and recognize now just how different it was from the movies being made in the late 1990s.

10 words or less: Unique movie even now.

No comments:

Post a Comment