Sunday, February 7, 2010

Milk

View Date: 11/13/09

This is a biopic about Harvey Milk, the first out gay man to be elected to public office in the US. This critically acclaimed movie focuses on his rise to and relatively short time in office before being shot by a colleague. Sean Penn not only won critical acclaim for his portrayal of Milk, but also multitudes of awards.

I can totally understand why Penn won so many awards for playing Milk, particularly after seeing some videos of the actual Milk. He was so incredibly dead on when it came to the mannerisms and the vocal inflections. The casting director did an excellent job finding actors who looked remarkably like the actual people they were portraying.

Now, I try to be an open-minded person when it comes to sexual preferences. I have watched countless movies, read all kinds of books, but this movie pushed it to a point I hadn't experienced before. I must admit, he was flamboyant to the point where I was a smidge uncomfortable. The characters were so over the top that the movie almost seemed like a parody. But like I mentioned above, seeing the actual footage of the person helped me understand how dead-on the performances really were.

10 words or less: Totally worthy of the praise it received.

No comments:

Post a Comment