Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Culling the Collection

I love using things up completely.  It doesn’t matter what it is: notebooks, skincare, perfume samples, anything.  My coworkers used to joke on me because I was obsessive about my always getting my pens back so I could continue to use them completely.  Something comes over me when I finish something to the very last drop, sheet, whatever.

I think this is why I love Empties posts so much.  I can look back over the month and see just how much I’ve used up, what kind of dent I’ve made in my ever-growing collection, and feel a sense of satisfaction that I’ve accomplished something.

I recently hit pan on a cream eye shadow.  Now, I’ve been through my fair share of eyeliners, mascaras, and bases, but it has been years since I’ve hit pan on any kind of colored makeup product!  My husband didn’t really understand my shock/amazement when I showed him, but it got me thinking.

I have a lot of products I’ve made major dents in because they are well loved.  That’s probably my second favorite feeling about consumables: when I first notice that I’ve used such a significant amount of product that I have a visible decrease in quantity.  So I started kind of a project pan, although I haven’t stopped acquiring new items (so any thought of decreasing my makeup and especially skincare collection is a losing battle).  Also, I’m not satisfied just by hitting pan; I am working to use up the product completely.

I’m really enjoying this process so far, and I’m seeing progress.  I’ve picked one or two of each makeup item I wear on a daily basis and try to use them exclusively.  I do have a few more eyeliners in the rotation, and I haven’t limited my lipsticks, and that has helped me not get bored with wearing the same overall look every day.

I’ve already used up one product completely (Benefit Gimme Brow), and am getting closer every day on an eye shadow and fragrance.  I’m also getting closer to hitting pan on at least one blush of all things!  (There was a time when I never wore blush.)


What’s the last makeup item you’ve used up completely?  Have you ever used up a colored item like blush or eye shadow?  Share in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment