Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Review – elf Mascara Primer



I picked up the elf Mascara Primer a while ago because I had been wanting to try out a mascara primer but didn’t want to fork over tons of money if it didn’t work out.  I figured I could part with $3 to give one a shot.

On the elf website, it describes the primer as “an excellent conditioning base for any mascara.  Coat each lash with this nourishing primer for lashes that appear naturally thicker, longer and stronger!”  As to use instructions, elf says to “apply the Mascara Primer like you would any mascara, but allow Primer to fully dry.  Layer on your Mascara as usual, for an enhanced look.  Remove with makeup remover.”

I wasn’t super impressed when I first picked this up.  I tried it out a few times, but the brush didn’t coat my lashes evenly and it didn’t seem to do anything.  As I was cleaning out my makeup stash this month, I decided it might be time to actually include it in the monthly giveups.  But then I thought, why not give it one more shot in case I was using it wrong, remembering it wrong, or something.

No, I was right.  This just doesn’t work for me.  I tried it three different days in a row using Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes Mascara on top of it, which is one of my go-to mascaras (it’s a good one, and I have a ton of it right now).  I used the primer on one eye and no primer on the other.
 
My bare lashes - no primer or mascara (and kind of a lousy liner day)
Primer on one eye only
Between me and the three other people I asked, only one could see any difference between the two eyes.  elf claims that your lashes will appear “thicker, longer and stronger”.  The one person who noted a difference thought the lashes with primer looked thicker and had more product on them.  No mention of increased length.  In fact, the other three of us thought the lashes on the other eye looked longer!
 
One coat of mascara - Can you see any difference?
Two coats on top lashes, one on bottom (my standard).  What do you think?
I still did not like the brush.  The bristles are widely spaced and didn’t seem to coat my lashes well.  I tried applying like I usually do by wiggling at the root then pulling through.  I tried twirling the brush through the lashes.  I tried just pushing the brush into the lashes as some other primers recommend.  Nothing seemed to make things better.

Unfortunately, I wouldn’t recommend this product.  The results weren't worth the extra time and energy involved with the somewhat difficult application.  Even though it is only a few dollars, I’d say save your money.  I just received some mascara primers for Christmas (to be included in posts soon, I promise!), so I’ll let you know if those are any better.


Do you use mascara primers?  Which ones do you recommend?

No comments:

Post a Comment