Tuesday, November 11, 2014

In Honor of Veteran's Day

In my spare time, I consider myself a bit of a history buff, particularly the American Civil War and, secondarily, World War II. One of my favorite ways to indulge is by watching movies related to the events of these conflicts. So, in honor of Veteran’s Day, here is a list (in no particular order) of my favorite movies based on Wars and Conflicts.

Glory – American Civil War
  • This is one of my all-time favorite movies. It's where I was first introduced to Denzel, reestablished my infatuation with Matthew Broderick, and deepened my love for all things Civil War. I remember grossing all my friends out at my birthday party with one particularly bloody battle scene from the beginning of this movie. They saw one flying head and refused to watch any more. :)
Gone with the Wind – American Civil War
  • What more can be said about Gone with the Wind that hasn't been said before? This is one of the classics that I made sure to watch with the kiddo. Whether it's the original or the spoofs, I will watch it anytime I can. I'm still upset I missed my chance to see it on the big screen earlier this year.
Dr. Zhivago – WWI and Russian Civil War
  • I've only seen this a handful of times, but it has stayed with me all these years. Omar Sharif and Julie Christie perfectly embodied their characters, and the image of the ice palace is burned into my soul.
Schindler’s List – WWII
  • Schindler’s List started a whole line of self-study for me that continues to this day. I have the book waiting for me to read, and have already read the author's memoir about his writing of the book. Steven Spielberg masterfully ushered this tale from history to page to screen and introduced us to one of the best villainous actors of our age. And my last two words: Red Coat.
The Hunt for Red October – Cold War
  • Sean Connery. Alec Baldwin. Tim Curry. That was almost too much for my teenage brain to handle. Then add to that the defection angle, and my Russophile self was in love.
MASH – Korea
  • I love this in either the TV or movie form. While I prefer the show, the movie does have a certain appeal.
Persepolis – Iran/Iraq War
  • I had heard good things about this film, so I made sure to watch this when I had the chance. I was only able to see this once, but it has stuck with me ever since. It gives a different perspective on the experience of women in the Muslim world from what we commonly hear. I love that the movie, based on a graphic memoir (like a graphic novel but a memoir), is animated but keeps the artist's style. I will be reading the book, but for now, the movie has made a lasting impression that I refer to on a routine basis.


A couple notes: This list is based only off of movies I have seen, and is a list of personal preferences. I know that there are other great movies out there, but some may not be personal favorites of mine (e.g. Apocalypse Now and Platoon). Other great movies can’t be included in the list because I haven’t actually seen them (i.e. Casablanca). Finally, I am really, REALLY picky when I say something is a favorite. With rare exceptions, these are movies that I will stop and watch any time I see them on, so matter what else I had been planning on watching. In fact, this list started off a lot longer!

No comments:

Post a Comment