Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Empties November/December 2014 - Part 1

Here we go... another empties post!  I was originally going to write this as a single post, but it wound up being huge, so look for Part 2 coming soon.  In this one, I'll review Makeup and Face Care.

Makeup
  • ChapStick Classic in Strawberry – Full size. I use lip balm every night before bed, and have experimented with which ones I like best. Of the drug store ones I've tried, this one doesn't come anywhere close. Luckily, even though I originally bought this in a 3-pack, I was able to give the other two away and suffered my way through this one. It was just too waxy for me, and didn't last through the night. I think my lips felt dryer when I woke up than when I went to bed. Repurchase: No.
  • Dr. Lipp Original Nipple Balm for Lips – Sample from Birchbox. This was the never-ending lip product! I swear, every night I thought it would be the end of the tube, then the next night there was still another huge amount left. This seemed very similar to other Vaseline-like products except that it came in a squeeze tube rather than in a pot. Again, I used this before bed, and there were plenty of mornings that I work up feeling like I hadn't used anything the night before. Purchase: No.
  • Maybelline Dream Fresh BB 8-in-1 Beauty Balm Skin Perfector – Full size. I picked up this BB Cream on a whim at the drug store one day before a trip. My skin hadn't been acting great, so I thought I could use some coverage lighter than a standard liquid foundation and had read some good reviews on this one. I am so glad I got this. This is so great for some very light coverage, and it blended in really well without being too pink or too orange. It acts more like a tinted moisturizer, but more days than not, that's what I reach for. I was so sad when I used this up, and the only reason I haven't picked up more is that I'm trying to use up some of what I already have at home. Repurchase: Yes.
  • Simple Pleasures Sweet Candy Dreams Lip Gloss (no longer sold) – Full size. I picked this up at Ulta a few years ago to round out a purchase, before I had really started to get more heavily into makeup. And let me tell you, I have been wanting to use it up since then. I did a little cheer when this ran out. This gloss always seemed like it was supposed to smell and taste sweet, but never quite did. It also is the man reason I am not a huge fan of the glosses that twist up from the bottom and come up through the middle of a brush. This was overly sticky, and shiny in a weird way. Just so NOT a fan! Repurchase: No.
  • Ulta Professional Flawless Primer (x2) – Sample from Ulta. I received this in a sample bag from Ulta, and it's OK. It's green and supposed to reduce redness, but I haven't noticed any visible reduction. It is silicone-based, but seems to be a kind of odd intermediate consistency. Purchase: No.
  • Ulta Voluptuous Volume Mascara in Jet Black – Full size. I started this mascara on October 11, and stopped using it on December 7 due to excessive flaking. This was an OK mascara, and I believe I may even have another one waiting for me at home. I would have continued to use it if I didn't have to keep wiping away the dry mascara flakes from my cheeks by early afternoon. I have a lot of other mascara to try now, so I probably won't be buying any for a while, even if I do find one I really like. Repurchase: No.


Face Care

  • Albertini International Warm Love Pumpkin Exfoliating Mask – Sample from Ipsy. This smells wonderful! This mask is almost like putting a non-sticky pumpkin pie filling on your face and massaging it in while basking in the aromas of cinnamon and nutmeg. I'm trying to be more regular with masks, but not there yet, and have several to use up. Purchase: Probably not.
  • Indie Lee Brightening Cleanser – Sample from Ipsy. I love the light citrus scent of this face cleanser. This didn't seem to break me out, but it didn't work so well for the kiddo in that regard. For the price, I don't think I'll be getting this now since it didn't work for the kiddo. Purchase: No.
  • Jurlique Purely Bright Radiance Serum – Rippy packet from Sephora. This worked fine from what I can tell, but I'm not sure if it did anything. It did smell very perfume-y. Purchase: No.
  • Mary Kay Oil Free Eye Makeup Remover – Full size. This was the first eye makeup remover I owned. I used to be really bad about not removing my makeup before bed, especially since I only wore eye makeup. I have been making a concerted effort to remove my makeup every night, and this was spark. It did leave an oily feeling on my eyelids, even though it says it is oil-free, so I wiped my eyes off either with my face wipe or a towel after use. I have found others that I am trying out, but I am so glad I found this originally. Repurchase: Maybe.
  • Simple Cleansing Facial Wipes – Full size x 2. These face wipes work fine, although the cloths are a little rough compared to others that I have used. I can usually find these on sale, which is always nice. Also, I haven't had any problems with these breaking me out, and they seem to work well to take off makeup. Repurchase: Yes.
  • Simple Soothing Facial Toner – Full size. I needed a new toner, and Simple products were on sale and hadn't aggravated my skin, so I decided to give it a shot. This toner worked out fine, although I do have other ones I want to try out before going back to this one. Repurchase: Yes.
  • Soap and Glory Make Yourself Youthful 6-in-1 Intense Rejuvenating Super-Serum – Rippy packet sample from Sephora. This serum smells yummy and actually seemed to possibly do something in the short time I was using the sample. I've added it to my Loves list at Sephora, and I'm just waiting to use up my current serum or find some other way to justify spending the money on this, since it isn't cheap. Purchase: Yes.
  • Ulta Moisturizing Makeup Remover Pads (not available) – Full size. I am SO glad these are finally done. I bought these the first time I tried to buckle down and remove my makeup every night. These are pre-soaked wipes, and they are most definitely soaked. So much so that they are dripping wet when you take them out of the jar. I wound up using them to wipe off swatches, but had to wash up after because they left me so oily and soaked. Repurchase: No.
  • Urban Decay B6 Vitamin-Infused Complexion Prep Spray – Sample from Ulta. This says that it's supposed to reduce redness, minimize pores, and absorb oil. From what I can tell, it doesn't do any of these. I also thought this smelled like glue, and made my face feel kind of sticky and tight. I kept checking the bottle to make sure I didn't have something like setting spray. Purchase: No.
  • Yes to Blueberries Age Refresh Cleansing Facial Wipes – Full size. I had used these in the past, both a travel size and full size, with no problems. This time, I had some issues with a burning sensation while I was using it and had to stop. I was eventually able to finish off the pack after using a pack of another brand, but I am hesitant to try the Yes To wipes again. This is now the second time and second scent that I've had problems with Yes To wipes causing a burning sensation. The kiddo can't use these either. Repurchase: No.
Look for Skincare, Fragrance, Hair Care, Other, and Give Ups in Part 2.

What have you finished recently that you would recommend?  Anything you would absolutely stay away from?

No comments:

Post a Comment