Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Birchbox and Ipsy – February 2016

I know this is going up when then March subscriptions are coming out, but I want to get this up mostly for completeness purposes.  If you read my last two posts (here and here), then you can understand why this is so late.

I was somewhat unimpressed with both Birchbox and Ipsy this month.  Looking back over them to write up this post, I realize they are not as disappointing as my first impressions, but I’m still not overly thrilled.  I think the big thing was the product size.  Everything just seemed so tiny!


February 2016 Birchbox



Birchbox

  • Parlor by Jeff Chastain Moisturizing Sea Salt Spray – Sea salt spray is a staple for me and I use it every day.  I’m looking forward to trying this one and comparing it to my usual Not Your Mother’s Beach Babe Texturizing Sea Salt Spray.
  • Living Proof Restore Mask Treatment – I don’t use a lot of hair masks and don’t find a lot of use for them.  I recently used one up as conditioner, and I usually use them before I swim.  Not overly thrilled to see this one.
  • Arrow Cooling Cheek Tint in Pink Punch – I love receiving makeup, so this was a pleasant treat.  The sample, however is tiny, and when I swatched it it was rather light even on my pale skin.  One thing I did find, however, was that this caused a stain where I had left a non-blended area during swatching that I could NOT get off even with thorough scrubbing.  So be forewarned: make sure to blend in quickly or risk not being able to get it off.
  • DermaE Hydrating Serum – I like face serums, and after using this last night it felt really nice.  It was a tiny little tube.
  • Pop Beauty Matte Velvet Lipstick in Cozy Crimson – I love that this is a full size product in a color that I will wear!  It seemed like a nice creamy formula without shimmer.  Definitely think this is more velvet and not super matte, but that’s OK with me.

February 2016 Ipsy

Ipsy

  • Not Your Mother’s In a Heart Beat Blow Dry Accelerator – Love the product line, but I almost never dry my hair, so I won’t get much use out of this.
  • Smashbox Photo Finish Primer Oil – I’m interested in trying this out.  I’m trying to be more consistent in wearing primer, especially now that I have finished my Tarte BB Cream (coming up in my March empties, so more on that then).
  • Paula Dorf Baby Eyes Enhancer – I do use nude eyeliner in my waterline, and I was pleasantly surprised by how soft this felt when I swatched.  But this is such a tiny little pencil!  I think I’ll be able to sharpen it maybe twice before I’ll have trouble holding it.
  • Chella Lip Pencil in Passionate Pink – Another tiny pencil.  I normally love lip products, but this is in a color I have trouble wearing.  It’s somewhere between a bright pink and a hot pink, and I think a lot of people would have trouble wearing it.
  • Luxie Flat Definer Brush – I have had good luck with Luxie brushes, and I do like that this is full size.  I’m not usually a fan of brushes this shape, but I’ll give it a fair shot.

What did you think of your Birchbox and Ipsy this month?  I’ve already heard of at least one other person who was disappointed with their Ipsy this month, so I know I’m not the only one.  Shout out your experiences in the comments below!

Note: Referral links included above

No comments:

Post a Comment