Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Slaughterhouse Five

Author: Kurt Vonnegat
Completed: 9/30/09

This classic novel was written from the perspective of a man who gets “unstuck in time”, after is kidnapped by aliens from Tralfamadore. Therefore, we experience his life in a scrambled manner, jumping from one important event to another in no particular order. There is particular attention paid to his time in WWII, where he experienced the firebombing of Dresden and was deeply shaken by it.

Parts of this novel are based on Vonnegat's own experiences. He was an American prisoner in Dresden during the bombing and was, rightfully, deeply shaken by the event.

I enjoyed this book. I did wind up listening to it, but at some point I may go back and read the hard copy. I love books that jump around as this did, and the prose was interesting. The story kept me involved, but I think that by listening to it I was more easily confused.

10 words or less: Need to pick up a hard copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment