Thursday, October 9, 2014

Blogging about Beauty

Recently, I've become very interested in beauty products.  Or, I should say, more than I have been, since I have been subscribing to Birchbox for several years now.  It all started because I saw a Lip Product Addict Tag video. The first question in the tag is “What is your most eye-catching red?” I realized that I didn't have any true red lipsticks, so I started searching the web for the best red lipsticks. The one that came up most was MAC Cosmetics' Ruby Woo.

A MAC Cosmetics store moved into The Gallery, which is the mall attached to my train station. I would walk past it every day after it opened and it was mobbed! I had never been exposed to MAC before, so I really didn't know anything about them or why everyone loved it so much. So I did what I always do, educate myself. I searched for MAC, and up popped hundreds of videos just about their lipstick alone.

At my next opportunity, I stopped in and looked around. I was able to try on Ruby Woo, then had to run to catch my train. That night, I looked it up online to get the price, and found that there were drugstore dupes out there that many people thought were almost as good for just a fraction of the cost. Since I wasn't hugely comfortable in lipstick that bright yet, I thought it might be a good idea to try out one of the less expensive options. When I found a well-liked one for only $2, I knew I had found my red lipstick.

But this got me thinking about other MAC lipsticks. There were so many videos and blogs with lists of MAC lipsticks, but also many, many lists of drugstore dupes for MAC lipsticks. Since there were others in the $2 line, I decided to pick up some others that were routinely considered favorites.

At this point, I have a pretty strong collection of dupes going, and even started branching out to dupes for brands other than MAC. See below for my current list.

MAC Brave – NYX Round Lipstick in Thalia
MAC Diva – Wet N Wild Cherry Bomb
MAC Plumful – Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Sassy Mauve, Maybelline Colorsensational in Bit of Berry
MAC Rebel – Wet N Wild Sugar Plum Fairy
MAC Ruby Woo – Wet N Wild Stoplight Red (can also be used for Riri Woo and Russian Red)
MAC See Sheer – Rimmel Colour Rush in Not an Illusion, Flower Cosmetics Lip Service in Sheer Snapdragon
MAC Syrup – Revlon Colorburst Balm Stain in Honey, Rimmel Moisture Renew Lipstick in Vintage Pink
MAC Viva Glam V - Maybelline Colorsensational Nearly There
DIOR Dior Addict Lip Glow – Pixi Beauty Tinted Brilliance Balm in Unique Pink


This interest in drugstore dupes expanded my interest in makeup in general. I've been able to share this with the kiddo, which is fun. I've been exploring different techniques and makeup based on internet recommendations and instructional videos.

I will be blogging more about beauty products with the help of the kiddo.  A lot of topics, at least initially, will be influenced by what I have already seen online.  But who knows?  Maybe I'll be able to throw out something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment