Friday, October 31, 2014

Favorites and Disappointments October 2014 – Beauty and More

It's hard to believe it's already the end of October! Here's a summary of some of my favorite products, and also a few I didn't like this month.

Favorites first...

Lips: Matte Lips - NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream (particularly in the shade Cannes), Sephora Cream Lip Stain in Always Red
I love the fact that matte lips are so popular right now! Thanks to other beauty bloggers and YouTube, I've discovered NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream and Sephora Cream Lip Stain. The NYX product has a nice texture and smells divine, but can be rather drying so I make sure to put a balm on under them. I found this is actually a great use for the Benefit Benebalm/Posiebalm because they do tend to be somewhat thinner than others that I own. Some colors go on more streaky than others, while some go on almost perfectly in one swipe. Cannes is a great color that is muted enough to wear at anytime, to work or on weekends. They wear well, but do need to be reapplied after eating.
The Sephora Cream Lip Stain, on the other hand, truly is the classic red like everyone says. This also goes on smoothly and for such a bright color, really easily. I get no feathering with this one, irregardless of whether I wear a clear lip liner. After a few short minutes, this dries to feel like there is nothing on your lips, but the color stays a very long time. It stays fairly well through eating, but I did wind up reapplying. This one didn't dry out my lips at all, and I didn't need to use a balm under it.

Eyes: Ulta Color Coat Cream EyeShadow in Shimmering Topaz
A lot of times, if I want to try something new that I don't know how I'll like the format, I'll try the Ulta version when they are having one of their major sales. That's what I did here, and I'm really glad I did. From what I can tell, this color is a dupe for Maybelline Color Tattoo in Barely Branded. Now, I don't know if it is just my pots, but my Ulta one is incredibly creamy whereas the Barely Branded is kind of thick and much drier to the point where I definitely prefer the Ulta one. I've already made a significant dent in my pot, and wear it almost every day as a base for most shadow looks.

Face: Benefit Majorette
Please read my review on this product to see just how much I love it!

Fragrance: Killer Queen Eau de Parfum by Katy Perry
The kiddo found this one, and I have to force myself not to wear it every day. It almost smells a little like an “old lady” perfume because it has a bit of a powdery undertone to it, even though that's not in the description at all. Check out the description of the scent breakdown here, then go check it out in the stores.

Skincare: Freeman Beautiful Cucumber Peel-off Face Mask
I needed a new mask, and always enjoyed peel-off ones. This one is cooling and relaxing, and I've been enjoying it at least twice a week.

Hair: Hard Candy Brows Now in Light/Medium
You may be asking, why is this here? Well, eyebrows are hair, right? This is a fiber gel that comes on a spoolie wand that looks like a mascara wand on one end. On the other side there is a retractable highlighter stick. I picked this up because the gel seems to be similar to Benefit's Gimme Brow but at a much lower cost. Considering this would be my first brow product EVER, I didn't want to shell out $30 for Benefit's product right away when I didn't know how I would like it. After using this, I can see why people like this type of product. I now notice when I don't do my eyebrows, even though there isn't a huge difference. I'll keep at it for a while, but most likely stay with the lower cost products.

Book: Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan
The kiddo and I have read all of the Percy Jackson books, and now the Heroes of Olympic series as well. This is the fifth and last in that series, and it was a good one. It was a good way to finish off the series while still leaving room to continue the story in the future.

Movie: N/A
For the first time I a long time, I didn't see any new movies this month. I'll make sure to change that for November!

TV: Red Band Society; TGIT
This TV season has been off to a great start, and there are a few shows I absolutely will not miss. Red Band Society, while getting beat up in the ratings and reviews and not likely to get renewed, completely sucked me in. Three generations gather to watch it on Wednesdays, and it's a sure way to make the kiddo hurry after swim practice.
TGIT consists of the Shonda Rhimes shows on ABC on Thursday nights: Grey's Anatomy, Scandal, and How to Get Away With Murder. I've watched all of them now from the beginning, and, do I dare say, each one is better than the last.

On to the disappointments... Yes to Blueberries Brightening Facial Towlettes (caused an allergic reaction), Philosophy products (face cream smelled odd, exfoliator my be causing breakouts), Urban Decay Pulp Fiction Nail Enamel in Mrs. Mia Wallace (hard to apply, chips quickly)


No comments:

Post a Comment