Sunday, October 26, 2014

Shelfari

Shelfari is a site run by Amazon that, from what I can tell, is similar to Goodreads. The kiddo had to sign up on Shelfari for school in 6th grade, so the hubby and I joined also. This social media site lets you log in books you have read, books you are reading, or those you want to read. You can also write reviews, update information about the books, and keep track of your copies. There are various social groups you can join, and you can follow people. The site provides lists of books and can also provide recommendations based on your reading history.

Now, over the years (25 years to be exact), I kept track of every book I have read in a journal. At one point, I also started tracking the dates when I finished the books. In my “Book of Books”, I also had everything color coded as to whether the book was a graphic novel, if I had re-read it, or listened to it as an audiobook. Can you tell I'm a little neurotic about my books?!?

This was actually really great when I finally joined Shelfari. After inputting my most recent books with mini reviews of 10 words or less, I went back and put in my entire reading history. For those of us who are interested, it gives all kinds of stats like how many books you've read in which categories and how many pages that is. At this point, I have a little over 900 books on my list totaling almost 300,000 pages. :) I do also have a partial “to read” list on the site, but haven't yet imported my full list.

Interested? Check out my bookshelf on the side of the page. You can link to my full Shelfari profile from there. Feel free to follow me!


My complaints? My biggest gripe is that they don't have a mobile app. I also found that you can't sort your bookshelf by completed date, just by entered date, which for me isn't the same. Other than that, it's a nice little site for the general user.

No comments:

Post a Comment