Monday, March 23, 2015

Dermatologist Visit


On February 2, I finally had those dry red patches on my face checked out by a dermatologist. I also had some weird patches and dark marks on my arms I wanted to get checked out while I was there. I was able to get in to see Dr. Joya Sahu at Jefferson Dermatology, and needless to say, she completely overhauled my skincare routine.



Dr. Sahu first started me on Desonide cream for when my skin is flaring up. That was only to be used for a week at a time, then I was to switch over to a Ketoconazole cream for daily maintenance. She also prescribed me a Ketoconazole shampoo to use twice a week. On my arms, I was supposed to use Fluocinonide cream for 2 weeks, and apply a strong moisturizer over that.

Because of the red flaky patches, I should now consider my skin combination, with the T-zone being oily and the rest being very dry. She told me to not use any cleansers on my face, using only plain water to wash it. I specifically asked about removing makeup, and she said it is OK to use makeup remover wipes. She also wanted me to avoid using cleansers on my body in all but the most crucial areas, and there to only use non-soap cleansers from a list of provided brands. I’m to stop exfoliating; even using a poof or washcloth is too much for my skin to handle right now. She suggested that, for extra moisture and protection, I apply my choice of oil (olive, coconut, baby) PRIOR to my shower. Finally, my moisturizers were completely overhauled as well. Out went anything with fragrance, and lotions, and anything with a pump. From now on, I’m only supposed to use creams or ointments from specific brands.





With these rules in hand (literally), I made my way to CVS, knowing that they were having specials on both moisturizers and several brands on my list. Knowing what I had available at home, I decided to go primarily with Aveeno products because I was able to find almost everything I needed in one brand in non-giant sizes. I did pick up some Johnson's Baby Oil with Shea and Coconut and a travel size of CeraVe Moisturizing Cream.

After the first week, the flakes on my faces were almost completely gone and much less red, while the arms were also improving. As instructed, I switched over to the Ketoconazole, and started having a few issues. I started breaking out while on that cream in the areas where I applied it, and noticed something similar when I used the shampoo. I called the office, and we decided I would go off the cream, then try it again to see if I had the same reaction.

The rest of the month was a struggle. My arms did great! I can’t remember the last time my arms have been free of dry patches like they are now. But by the time I got back to the dermatologist for my follow-up appointment, my face was a flaky, red, patchy, broken out mess.

So I’ve now started a new regimen that includes a stronger steroid cream and oral antibiotic. I will switch over to Elidel cream next week. So far, my face is improving every day. I saw the doctor and started the regimen on Tuesday. Friday was the first day where I could felt like I could wear face makeup and not have to worry all day about the flaky mess it would become.


No comments:

Post a Comment