Friday, May 15, 2015

My Current Nighttime Routine

I love seeing what other people out there in the blog-o-verse do to get ready or un-ready every day.  I thought you might like to see how I do things just a little bit different.

Minimally, I wear at least a little bit of eye makeup every day.  I used to be really bad about removing it because I didn't have a good way, until I went to my very first Mary Kay consultation.  (You can check out a recent one here.)  The consultant introduced me to their eye makeup remover, and I have been a fan ever since.  Like most things, I do switch up brands pretty much every time; right now, I’m finishing up my Body Shop Chamomile Gentle Eye Makeup Remover.  It works pretty well, but it does sting if I use too much.  Do you use a separate eye makeup remover?

Next step: a makeup remover wipe.  Again, I switch these up.  Right now, I’m using Yes To Carrots Fragrance-Free Makeup Remover Wipes.  They work pretty well, and the slight scent reminds me of baby wipes.  I do have some of my HG Neutrogena ones waiting for me just in case (I've had some issues with Yes To products in the past).

Based on my dermatologist’s recommendations, I no longer clean my face using face wash or other soaps.  So, especially since certain wipes don’t always get all of the makeup off, and some eye makeup is extra stubborn, I decided to give micellar water a shot.  I've been using Sephora’s Triple Action Cleansing Water, and it’s OK.  I wouldn't use it alone, but I do see more makeup come off with it after using my wipes.  I also really like it in the morning to clean up any last traces of eye makeup after my shower, since I can use it after I put my contacts in.  Have you tried out micellar water yet?  Did you like it?

Last (and most recently added) step of the cleaning process: an exfoliant.  I asked my dermatologist about this one, since previously she had told me not to use scrubs, etc.  Turns out, mild chemical exfoliants were deemed OK.  I happened to have a sample of Paula’s Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant from Birchbox, so I’ve been using that in my T-zone.  Since I had always preferred physical exfoliants, any recommendations on other chemical ones to try?

Whew!  Now that I've finished cleaning, I can start putting some of the moisture back into my chronically dry skin.  I start off with a good eye cream.  Right now, I've been finishing up a deluxe sample of Clinique All About Eyes which was so good I went out and bought the full size.

After applying a prescription cream to some problem areas, I use a night facial cream.  I just started using Pond’s Rejuveness Anti-Wrinkle Cream, and it has a different texture than I’m used to.  It’s very thick but still jiggles around in the jar, and I’m having a hard time figuring out exactly how much to use.  Hopefully a few more days with it and things will get better.



For lips, I've been going between Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment, Vaseline Lip Therapy Rosy Lips, and I just started using Jouer Lip Enhancer.  They’re all pretty good, but none of them compare to my beloved Lip Smackers.

This is when I would put on a foot cream if I was going to.  Right now, I have BBW True Blue Spa Glycolic Acid Cracked Heel Treatment.  Let me tell you, I have to be careful I don't slip getting out of bed in the morning when I use this because it is still around!


I finish off with a good moisturizer on my arms and sometimes my legs.  I've been using Aveeno Skin Relief Overnight Cream most nights.  Sometimes, when the hubby isn't around, I use the “smelly” lotions and creams, like BeeKind Body Lotion.

That’s it!  Even with all of those steps, I've gotten it down to about 15 minutes (max).  The longest part of the process is taking off my makeup because I want to make sure I got it all off.  Also, depending on what I've done that day, sometimes I can leave out some steps.  If I didn't wear face makeup, for example, I might skip the face wipe and just do a little extra with the micellar water.

What's your nightly routine?

*Additional pictures courtesy of vendor websites (i.e. Ulta, BBW, Body Shop, etc)

No comments:

Post a Comment