Friday, January 8, 2016

2015 Yearly Favorites

I know this is a little late, but I've been trying to get posts out as fast as I can.  Hell, I've written more in the past 2 weeks than I have in the past 6 months.  Here's just a quick rundown of some of my favorite products from the past year.  (Also, sorry I don't have pictures for everything.  I'm editing some for upcoming posts now.)



  • Benefit Gimme Brow – For a quick brow day, I like using a brow mascara for some gentle taming and filling.  I have tried several this year, and nothing has compared to this.  If anyone knows of a less expensive alternative I should try, please let me know in the comments. (also available here and here)

  • Benefit The Porefessional – I don’t use primer every day, but when I do this is my favorite.  I have also found that it is an absolute must under powder foundations. (also available here and here)


Rocketeur on bottom right

  •  Benefit Rocketeur – This rose gold blush imparts such a great color on my skin.  It’s not too light but also hard to overapply.  In fact, it was this blush that got me started back on powder blushes after using mostly creams for several years. (also available here and here)



  • Benefit Watt’s Up – If I want to use a cream highlighter, I almost always reach for this one.  It packs a great punch and blends beautifully. (also available here and here)

  •  BITE custom lipcolor created at BITE Liplab in NYC – I know this is kind of a cheat, but this is still one of my favorites this year.  I had such a great experience at the Liplab, and they helped me create this fantastic lipstick; a great color, fabulous formula, and I love the scent I picked. 


  •  Elizabeth and James Nirvana Black – My most used fragrance this year; I got rollerballs of both Black and White around the holidays last year and this one is over half gone (which is huge for me).  The Black is SO much better on me than Nirvana White.

  •  Lipsmackers Lip Balm – This may seem like a strange choice, but this is a longtime favorite of mine.  I define a good lip balm as one that I can still feel in the morning after applying before bed.  It doesn’t matter what flavor, these are the best lip balms I’ve ever used at bedtime.


  •  MAC lip liners – I’ve been late to the game in multiple ways here.  First, I did not appreciate lip liners until very recently.  Secondly, I did not own any MAC products until earlier this year.  Now, MAC lip liners are some of my most used lip products.  A few brands I’ve tried have come close, but most others are too dry, too creamy, tug on my lips, aren’t the right color, something.  The MAC ones have been the perfect consistency and color, and the few I have go with so many of the lip products I own.


  •  Mary Kay Day Solution – I like using this nice light sunscreen as a first layer; I am then able to choose which moisturizer I want to use that day to suit my skincare needs.  It also guarantees an extra layer of sun protection above whatever else is being provided in my moisturizer or makeup.


  • Mary Kay Whipped Eye Color in Tiki Hut – This LE product has a unique mousse-like texture and is a great cream eyeshadow for using the crease.

  • Pixi Shea Butter Lip Balm in Comfort Clear – Another lip balm I use every day, I use this when I get out of my shower and it doesn’t come off until I take it off to put on my lipstick.  This is a great moisturizing product for a moderate price that I will definitely rebuy when I run out (or steal the kiddo’s).


  • Too Faced Melted Lipsticks – The Melted Fig is a go-to when I’m not sure what to wear since it goes with pretty much everything.  The Melted Metallic Jelly is a fantastic, fairly sheer berry color with shimmer but not glitter. (also available here and here)

  • Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in LSD – This is what first helped me figure out how to wear black liquid liner and have it look decent on me (liquid liner on upper lash line, this on tightline and waterline).  (also available here and here)


  • Ulta Color Coat Cream Eyeshadow in Shimmering Topaz – How could I not include this on my list – I think I’ve included it on more favorites lists than any other product.  This was the first cream eyeshadow I ever hit pan on, and I use it any time I do my makeup at home.  It works great on its own, pairs great with the Mary Kay Tiki Hut, and works nicely as a base for powder shadows.  I found that it is a dupe for the Maybelline Color Tattoo in Barely Branded.

I did notice a few repeated brands; Benefit was particularly prominent, with Urban Decay and Mary Kay making repeat appearances.

What were some of your favorite products this year?  Did you feel any brands that were particularly great this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment