Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Empties - December 2015

Full empties bin this month!

I had a banner empties month in December.  I don't think I've ever used up so many products in such a short time!  Sure, many of them were rippy packets, but many of them were also full size.  This is going to be a long one, so let's get into it.


Makeup
·Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector Pressed in Opal – Sample card from Sephora.  I tried this one, and I’ve been working with a sample compact of the pressed skin perfector in Moonstone.  I may be the only person in the world that isn’t impressed with these highlighters.  Maybe it’s because I’ve just used samples, but I just don’t feel they provide a lot of highlight and I have to work really hard to see anything.  I do have a sample of the original liquid skin perfector which I’ll try out, and I may try the poured before I make a final decision, but so far I’m not impressed.  Purchase: No.
·elf Makeup Remover Pen – Full size.  This has been helpful since I’m not always fully awake when I’m doing my makeup.  It has been really helpful fixing up stray eye makeup when I’m trying something new, and especially lipstick when I’m having a rough time.  Repurchase: Already have.
·Mai Couture Hello Gorgeous Travel with Me “Makeup Paper” Travel Blush in Sicily – Sample from Ipsy.  This is an innovative idea and makes for a great way to travel with makeup.  However, I never wound up using all of a single paper, and blush did get on my fingers while trying to apply.  Also, I often got more than one paper out of the package while trying to get my blush for the day.  It would have been nice to have either different size papers or perforations in the papers to allow for easy ripping with minimal staining of fingers.  Purchase: Maybe.
·MUFE Ultra HD Invisible Cover Foundation in R230 – Sample from Sephora.  People rave about this foundation, but it made me look greasy by mid-day.  I also wound up having to use a lot to get the coverage I wanted, and I don’t like a lot of coverage in my foundations.  Purchase: No.
·Tarte Amazonian Clay Tightlining Eyeliner in Black Brown – Full size from QVC Beauty in the Basics kit (no longer available).  I just included this in my December Favorites, so you can probably guess what I think of it.  If I can find it again, I would definitely pick this up in bulk.  Purchase: Yes!
·W3LL People Expressionist Mascara – Sample from Birchbox.  I was pleasantly surprised by this mascara.  The sample didn’t last a huge amount of time, but I think that’s a combination of the formula drying out slightly and my lashes not particularly liking the brush.  Purchase: Maybe.


Face Care
·Acure Cell Stimulating Facial Mask – Sample from Birchbox.  I have liked just about everything I’ve tried from Acure, and this is no exception.  This made my skin look fantastic right after I removed the mask and the next day.  It cleared up any lingering blemishes like magic!  Purchase: Yes.
·Exfoliating Face Wipes (brand unknown) – Full size.  These are so old, I don't remember what brand they are.  Similar ones are available from Equate.  I didn't feel like these were any better than my regular face wipes, and were no less of a hassle then just washing my face.  Purchase: No.      
·Hada Labo Skin Plumping Gel Cream – Rippy packet from a magazine.  Another night face cream I was using had been breaking me out.  One night of this and not just no new breakouts, but the rest of my skin had calmed down too.  Purchase: Yes.
·Marcelle Hydra-C Energizing Hydrating Gel – Sample from Birchbox.  Light with a slight orange scent that always helps wake me up in the morning.  It wasn’t ultra-moisturizing, though.  Purchase: No.
·Mary Kay Timewise Day Solution Sunscreen – Full size.  I’ve learned, with the help of this, that I really like using a serum sunscreen.  I can then adjust my moisturizer, pile on my foundation of choice, etc., and not worry about my sunscreen interfering.  Repurchase: Already have.
·Neutrogena Makeup Remover Cleansing Towelettes – Full size (x2).  HG product.  Repurchase: Already have.
·Pond’s Rejuveness Anti-Wrinkle Cream – Sample from Walmart Beauty Box.  This wound up being too heavy for my face and I had to stop using it eventually.  I found this to work fine on other areas, particularly the decolletege.  Purchase: No.
·Skyn Iceland Hydro Cool Firming Eye Gels – Full size.  I got this from Ipsy a long time ago, and this is the second set I've used.  This is a nice change from a full face mask and super cooling around the eyes.  Purchase: Yes.


Skincare
·BBW True Blue Spa Glycolic Acid Cracked Heel Treatment – Full size.  I’m finally done with this!  This is fine, and if I wear socks I still feel it in the morning, to the point where I have to be careful walking or I might slip.  But I don’t think it did all that much for the cracks and uber dry spots.  Repurchase: No.
·The Body Shop Glazed Apple Body Polish – Travel size from Glazed Apple Tin of Treasures set (no longer available).  This was a really nice scrub.  The scrubby particles were all-natural (I believe from apricot pits or something similar), although a few more scrubbies are always appreciated.  The cap broke, which actually make keeping it in the shower more difficult, between wanting to keep it pointing down because of how thick it is, but also not wanting it to drip everywhere.  Also, I loved this scent; even the hubby likes it for the body butters.  Repurchase: Yes.
·Coloplast Gentle Raid Extra Mild Sensitive Skin Moisturizing Body Wash, Shampoo & Hand Wash – Hospital sample.  Luckily, you can’t buy this, because this complete dries me out and I would avoid it at all costs.  Purchase (or Use): No.
·Dove Go Fresh Restore Body Wash in Blue Fig & Orange Blossom Scent – Sample from likely Walmart or Target Beauty Boxes.  This had the underlying scent of Dove soap.  Makes sense, but I would prefer to have a single scent, either the soap one or the “added” one (i.e. Dove soap vs. Blue Fig & Orange Blossom).  Purchase: No.
·First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream – Rippy packet from likely from Sephora.  This was OK, but I expected more because of the word “Ultra” in the name.  Purchase: No.
·Jasmine Seven Fresh Feet Wipes Antibacterial Hands and Feet in Peppermint – Sample from Birchbox (Set of 2).  These are antibacterial wipes that smell like peppermint and are supposedly made specifically for your feet.  I’m still not quite sure what makes them so different than standard baby wipes except for the scent.  They were a pleasant experience, but not enough to spend the extra money.  Purchase: No.
·Neutrogena Body Lotion Light Sesame Formula – Hotel sample.  Standard Neutrogena moisturizer, but one of the thinner one.  Non-irritating, and didn’t bother anyone with sensitivities to scents.  Purchase: Maybe.
·Tarocco Nourishing Moisturizer – Hotel sample.  This light moisturizer had almost a blood orange scent that was almost a little off-putting.  Purchase: No.


Fragrance
·Chloe Eau de Parfum – Sample card from Sephora.  I use these samples every chance I get.  Trying to use some things up so I can justify purchasing this.  Purchase: Yes.
·Harvey Prince Sincerely Eau de Parfum – Sample from Birchbox.  Another success from Harvey Prince, although not my favorite of theirs.  Purchase: Yes.
·Prada Candy Eau de Parfum – Sample card from Sephora.  Another good fragrance that I will use every sample but I can’t justify purchasing yet.  Purchase: Yes.


Hair Care
·Coolway Strong Hold Spray – Sample from Ipsy.  I didn’t think I was going to like this, since I don’t use hairspray.  But when I was reading up on it, there was mention of using this on wet hair then styling as usual.  So I tried that out, using this like I would a spray gel or sea salt spray.  It worked great!  The scent was amazing, and I loved every minute of using this.  Purchase: Yes.
·Fekkai Technician Color Care Shampoo and Conditioner – Rippy packets from Birchbox.  Unremarkable; nothing overwhelmingly great or awful.  Purchase: No.
·Hask Macadamia OilMoisturizing Shampoo and Conditioner – Rippy packets from Ulta.  This smells great: creamy and a little nutty.  It worked well too, and made my shower an enjoyable experience.  Purchase: Yes.
·L’Oreal Smooth Intense Ultimate Straight Straightening Shampoo, Kera-Tourmaline Pre-Condition, and Straightening Conditioner – Rippy Packets from Target Beauty Box.  These aren’t bad but not for me.  I don’t straighten my hair unless I have it done at the hair dresser, and I actually don’t own a hair dresser, curling iron, or straightening iron.  So I don’t need all of the help these products provide.  Purchase: No.
·L’Oreal Total Repair 5 Restoring Shampoo, Restoring Conditioner, and Damage-Erasing Balm – Rippy packets from Ulta.  This set was unscented, which was OK.  The conditioner was very thick, so I thought that made the balm rather unnecessary.  Purchase: No.
·Carol’s Daughter Monoi Repairing Sulfate-Free Shampoo and Conditioner – Rippy packets from Ulta.  This smells like a salon at the beach.  The conditioner was very thick, which was nice because the shampoo made my hair feel squeaky clean and in need of extra moisture.  Purchase: Maybe.
·Hask Mint Almond Oil Thickening Shampoo and Conditioner – Rippy packets from Ulta.  This smelled AMAZING!  Worked pretty well, too.  Purchase: Maybe.
·Not Your Mother’s Beach Babe Texturizing Sea Salt Spray – Full size.   HG product.  Repurchase: Yes.
·Paul Mitchell Kids Taming Spray – Full size.  This wasn’t my favorite leave-in conditioner.  It actually took us many years to use up this bottle, and I had to make a conscious effort to do so.  Repurchase: No.


Toiletries
·ACT Advanced Care Plaque Guard Clean Mint Mouthwash – Sample from Walmart Beauty Box.  Pretty standard.  Purchase: Maybe.
·CareLine Mouthwash Blue Alcohol Free – Hospital sample.  This was actually really nice with a combination flavor of mint with a hint of cinnamon.  I will get this if there is any way to do so by not being in the hospital.  Purchase: Yes (if I can find it)
·Crest Pro-Health Multi-Protection Alcohol Free Refreshing Clean Mint Mouthwash – Travel size from a care package.  Standard mouthwash.  Purchase: Maybe.


Other
·Two-sided mirror compact – Full size (similar here).  I have carried this with me for years, and it has served me well.  The mirrors have come loose and I just got several mirrors with new kits, so I’m going to retire this one.  It has definitely been worth the few dollars I spent for it.  Repurchase: Yes (in the future).


Giveups
·elf Mascara Primer – Full size.  This just did not work for me.  Check out my full review hereRepurchase: No.
·L’Oreal Brow Stylist Plumper Brow Gel Mascara in Light to Medium – Full size.  This was so messy.  There were ways I could make it work, like my scraping off the brush completely before using it each time, but that just became too time consuming.  The whole reason I like colored brow mascaras is that they give quick brow control with a little bit of added fullness.  This took away the quick and added messy.  Repurchase: No.
·Mirenesse iCurl Secret Weapon 24Hr Mascara in Black – Sample from Birchbox.  This was a wet, goopy mess that didn’t do anything for my lashes.  It didn’t thicken, lengthen, or curl my lashes, all claims of this mascara.  Purchase: No.
·NYX Liquid Crystal Liner in Crystal Jade – Full size.  I had picked this up after finding this randomly in my shopping bag at Ulta one day and decided to give it a shot.  Now I wish I had saved my money.  First, it says right on it that it isn’t intended for use in the eye area, probably because of the glitter.  But more so, it is so patchy it is insanely difficult to work with.  If you want a single line, you need to go over it at least 5 times for it to look like anything resembling solid.  Repurchase: No.

What was the best thing you used up last month?  Have you used anything up in 2016 yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment