Monday, January 25, 2016

Hospital Visitor Must-Haves

I have spent a lot of time in hospital rooms over the last 4 years.  Too much time.  But in that time, I have learned some tricks to make your time as a visitor a little easier, even if it is one of the hardest times of your life.  

Here are my top 5...



Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize!  The air in hospital rooms, regardless of the temperature, is incredibly dry.  Add onto that the repeated hand washing and sanitizing and, depending on which hospital unit you’re visiting, other special precautions such as masks and gloves, and your skin will be screaming out for moisture.  I carry a good hand cream and usually a body butter, although sometimes I reach for whatever lotion is closest.  I also carry Aquaphor for when my hands get really chapped or cracked.  

Don’t forget your lips.  Again, depending on the hospital unit you’re visiting, you may not be able to drink in the patient’s room.  You also may have to wear a mask for part of all of your stay depending on the situation.  Make sure to have at least one good lip balm with you, and drink water as often as you can.

Bring your own hand sanitizer.  Hand sanitizer is usually readily available in hospitals, but I have found that it can be very harsh and dry my hands out faster than anything.  (I’ve also learned the hard way not to lick my fingers after using it.)  In my experience, the BBW PocketBac sanitizer works just as well yet doesn’t dry me out nearly as much.

If you’re a critical member of a tenuous patient’s support system, keep a hospital bag packed for yourself.  There will be a future post with my recommendations for this, but in general be prepared for at least one overnight at all times.  Again, I learned this one the hard way.  Don’t forget the deodorant - everyone around you will thank you!


Be able to keep yourself entertained.  The patient is in the hospital for a reason, and may not be able to visit with you in the way you expect.  Remember, you are there to visit with them; it is not their job to entertain you!

No comments:

Post a Comment