Thursday, February 5, 2015

Empties January 2015

I am not one to make New Year's resolutions.  Yet, like many others in the blogosphere, I've decided that, this year, I am going to work on using up the products that I have in my collection already.  I'm especially making it a point to use up the various samples and travel sizes I have accumulated.  That being said, I plan on posting empties monthly to keep the length down.  (Unfortnately, as you'l see below, that didn't work as well as I had hoped!)


Makeup
  • Ellovi Tinted Lip Butter – Sample from Birchbox. This was awful! This was supposed to be tinted, but no color came through on my lips except when I wiped them on a tissue. But the worst part for me was the texture. So many times when I went to put it on, it was chunky in the tube. It wound up applying evenly, but who wants to feel that on their lips? Purchase: NO!
  • Hourglass Hydrating Base Serum Primer – Sample from Sephora. I really liked this. Just the slightest amount was needed to fully prime the face, although you did need to make sure to wear makeup over it or your face would look wet or greasy. The only reason I stopped using this sample was because it the sample packaging I received from Sephora leaked everywhere and I didn't want to fight with it anymore. I would definitely buy this if it didn't cost so much. Purchase: Maybe.
  • Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes Mascara – Deluxe sample from Tarte kit. I started this mascara on 12/8/14 and stopped using it on 1/11/15 due to it starting to dry out and really tugging on my lashes. At first, I couldn't stand this mascara. Then I found that the best way to work with it when it was new was to scrape off a good part of the product before applying. I'm still not a huge fan of this, but I'll be able to get through the other samples I have. I don't think I'll go out and purchase a full size, though. Purchase: No.

Face Care
  • Acure Brightening Facial Scrub – Sample possibly from Birchbox. I really like this product. I know some people don't like physical facial scrubs, but I prefer them over chemical scrubs or microscrubs. This one has a refreshing minty scent and mild cleanser to accompany the scrubbing agents. I actually received another sample of this product and was thrilled to see it. Purchase: Yes.
  • Comfort Care Essentials Make-up Remover – Mini hotel sample. The kiddo tried this out while we were traveling for a swim meet. She really liked it because it didn't burn or sting while using it. I love the fact that it was available as a freebie in a hotel room, but don't know where to get them elsewhere. Purchase: No.
  • Neutrogena Hydrating Makeup Remover Cleansing Towelettes – Full Size. Now, of all the face wipes I have used, this is what I started out with and what I will always go back to when in doubt. LOVE THESE! Repurchase: Yes!!!!!
  • Pond's Original Fresh Wet Cleansing Towlettes with Vitamin E – Sample from Walmart. I really liked these. They have an open weave, and that helped them to really clean well. They were wetter than many of my typical face wipes, but that could be due to the size of the sample pack. Purchase: Yes.
  • The Body Shop Vitamin E Intense Moisture Cream – Full Size. I have been using this both day and night all winter by suggestion of a sales associate at The Body Shop. It has definitely helped tame some very dry, red patches. I can definitely tell if I miss using it for even a single application. Repurchase: Already have.
  • Vasanti Detox Nutrient-Rich Purifying Facial Cleanser – Sample probably from Birchbox. This was a mild face wash that worked OK for both me and the kiddo. It didn't break us out, didn't cause any irritation, and seemed to clean fine. I just have others I prefer. Purchase: No.

Skincare
  • Curel Daily Moisture Original Lotion for Dry Skin – Travel Size from hospital discharge gift bag. This was a sample first used by the hubby on discharge from the hospital that I then finished off. It worked really well on his very dry, scaly skin. Since it was unscented it didn't bother his overactive sense of smell. Purchase: Yes.
  • Figs & Rouge Roseberry Nourishing & Soothing Hand Cream with Shea Butter – Full Size from Ipsy. I love the texture of this hand cream. It definitely feels like a hand cream, being extra moisturizing and lasts on the hands, yet also sinks in. The fruity smell is mouthwatering. This is the first hand cream I carried on me at all times, and I have continued the habit with other, similar-sized tubes. Purchase: Yes.
  • Paul Mitchell Teatree Lemon Sage Energizing Body Lotion – Mini hotel sample. This is a relatively light body lotion with a nice citrusy scent. Like some others on this list, it was nice to receive for free, but I don't need to go seeking it out. Purchase: No.
  • Soap and Glory Clean on Me Creamy Moisture Shower Gel – Mini from gift set. Yummy scent in a decent shower gel. Purchase: Yes.
  • Terra Green Body Wash – Mini hotel sample. Standard body wash/shower gel. This one definitely smelled like soap as opposed to having a yummy smell. Purchase: No.

Fragrance
  • Marc Jacobs Honey – Sample from either Sephora or Macy's. I have been coveting this for years. Purchase: Already have.
  • Tom Ford Velvet Orchid Eau De Parfum (x2) – Sample from Sephora. I really liked these samples I got, and am glad I received 2 because they were very small samples on paper. I hope they come out with a rollerball or purse spray because I can't afford a full size. Purchase: Maybe.
  • Versace Bright Crystal – Sample from Sephora. I have talked about this one before. It is not one of my favorites, but not bad enough to throw away samples when I receive them. Purchase: No.


Hair Care
  • Bath and Body Works Rainkissed Leaves Volumizing Shampoo (shampoo not currently available) – Mini hotel sample. This was OK, and worked fine. I enjoyed the fresh fragrance. I wouldn't mind if I received more, but I wouldn't go seeking more out. Purchase: No.
  • Comfort Care Essentials Gentle Cleansing Shampoo – Mini hotel sample. This worked fine for a hotel sample. I'd use it again if I received another sample. Purchase: No.
  • Comfort Care Essentials Revitalizing Conditioner – Mini hotel sample. This was pretty standard for a hotel conditioner. I prefer mine stronger. Purchase: No.
  • John Frieda Radiant Red Color Magnifying Daily Shampoo – Full Size. This was really good when paired with the conditioner, and definitely extended the red coloring, at least a little bit. It was recommended by my hair stylist, and I agree that it's worth it if going red. Repurchase: Yes.
  • John Frieda Radiant Red Color Protecting Conditioner – Full Size. See the accompanying shampoo above. This conditioner is nice and thick, just the way I like it. Repurchase: Yes.
  • Neil George Shampoo – Sample from Birchbox. I finished the conditioner last month, and finally finished the shampoo now. It works fine as a shampoo, but it does have a pretty strong smell. Purchase: No.
  • Pert Plus 2 in 1 Shampoo & Conditioner Classic Clean for Normal Hair – Travel size. Nice size and good, classic 2-in-1 (if you like that). Repurchase: Maybe.
  • Suave Professionals Sleek Conditioner for Dry or Frizzy Hair – Full Size. This was the kiddo's swim/gym bag conditioner, and she said it was awesome! She used it kind of like a hair mask. When her hair was really knotty after swim practice, she would pile a good handful on and the knots would practically dissolve. She said it is one of the best she has used in her gym bag yet.
  • Templespa In Good Condition Hair Conditioner – Mini hotel sample. This conditioner is OK, not bad for a hotel sample. I tend to like mine stronger in general. Purchase: No.
  • Ultra Swim Chlorine Removal Shampoo – Full Size. This is the kiddo's HG swim/gym bag shampoo. Considering she swims at least 4-5 nights a week, this is a necessity in her life. How well does this work? Who really knows at this point because of how permanently damaged her hair is from the chlorine. But without it, who knows how bad it would be.

Toiletries
  • Avon Skin So Soft Fresh and Smooth Hair Minimizing Anti-Perspirant (not currently available) – Full Size. I've used deodorants from this line before, and I like some of the scented ones better. I'm not generally a huge fan of roll-ons, and you do have to be careful in the application and storage. This one had broken and overflowed after having it for quite a while, so I decided it had lived a good life. I'm not sure how well it works at “hair minimizing” due to my own personal grooming preferences. Repurchase: No.

Other
  • Bath and Body Works Midnight Pomegranate PocketBac Anti-bacterial Hand Gel (hand sanitizer not currently available) – Travel size. I have been using a lot of hand sanitizer lately to keep the hubby safe, so you will likely be seeing more soon. Good scent, and a wonderful aroma. Repurchase: Yes to the scent, Already have more product.
Giveups
  • I didn't really have any giveups this month. The deodorant and primer kind of fit in this category, but not because I didn't like the products. I stopped using the primer because the packaging leaked, and the deodorant bottle broke and leaked. Otherwise, I would have gladly kept using both.
Well, that's (finally) it for this month.  Did you finish anything up that you think I should try?  Please share!


No comments:

Post a Comment