Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Favorites and Disappointments - January 2015


This has been a pretty crazy month, and I'm just now getting a chance to post this. A lot of my time was spent gowned, gloved, and in a hospital mask. Subsequently, I kept my makeup routine minimal when I used any at all, and most of my skincare focused on repairing extremely dry and damaged skin.

Favorites


Lips: Tinted Lip Balms
I don't know about anyone else, but when I wear a hospital mask, I wind up breathing primarily through my mouth, which does an absolute number on my lips. I carry several tinted lip balms with me at all times. Depending on the situation, I usually reached for Pixi Shea Butter Lip Balm in Honey Nectar or Benefit BeneBalm. I love the Pixi balms; I just wish they would come out with more colors. My favorites are the Honey Nectar, Natural Rose, and Comfort Clear. I absolutely love the vanilla scent of these, and they are very strongly pigmented. If they weren't so moisturizing, they could definitely pass for a lipstick. Benefit’s balms are OK, but I actually don’t think they’re worth the price. They’re decent lip balms, but the scent of rose can be really overwhelming and the color payoff isn’t that great. (Photos courtesy of Target and Sephora websites.)

For the most part, this month I’ve gone very basic with my eyes. Many days, when I did anything at all, I just used eyeliner. But if I did use more than just eyeliner and maybe a cream shadow, this trio was one of my go-tos. Being neutral, I knew that I could get a basic eye out of it without even thinking much about it. I like that it runs a little darker than Wet ‘N Wild’s Walking on Eggshells trio, so you can get a stronger eye look with it. I received this in a kit at Christmas so I don’t believe the one I have is full size, but it is great for just throwing in my bag and having a ready-made eye look at hand. The shadows themselves are soft and blendable, making my first experience with Smashbox shadows a good one.

I received a sample of this from Birchbox in June 2013 and am already on my second full-size jar. I am trying to use up my other samples, but I have had a portion of this in my gym bag. And let me tell you, I have missed this! Being a sugar scrub, it has good exfoliating properties while also being gentle since it dissolves quickly. The lemon scent is fresh, not sour, and helps to reinvigorate and energize me. (Photo courtesy of Birchbox.)


I got both the white and black version of this fragrance in a rollerball set. I had tried the white before and thought it was decent, but I think it may be more of a warm weather scent. The black, on the other hand, is much deeper, more robust. I'd call it more womanly and sensual. It reminds me a lot of my beloved Killer Queen and Taylor. This one also seems to last better than the white on me, which I always appreciate.

Skincare: Aquaphor
This is an old multi-use standard, and it came in very handy in the hospital. I used it in place of my Body Shop face cream when I didn't have that available. I put it on really dry patches on my hands prior to putting on gloves for extra moisturization. I even used it in place of lip balm when I didn't want to use a tinted one. I now make sure to always have a small tube with me. (Photo courtesy of Target website.)

Oh Blogosphere, you were right again. YouTube made me buy this, and it definitely lives up to the hype. I have found that I only like to use it on wet hair, but it does glow right through it without pain and without ripping out half my head. The kiddo, on the other hand, prefers to use it only on dry hair (me brushing dry hair leads to a giant ball of frizz). We have strategically placed these everywhere throughout the house and in several gym bags. (Photo courtesy of Target website.)

I finally finished my previous book and got to start this one. I read Choose Your Own Adventure books as a kid and loved them, so I was really looking forward to this, and it did not disappoint. If you are an NPH fan in any way, I highly recommend you pick this up. (Photo courtesy of Amazon.)

Other Greats: Aerosoles Joyride boots, reverse hair washing, multi-use products, TJUH BMT Unit nurses, clothes you can sleep in, using up samples/products, Maybelline Master Smoky eyeliner

On to the disappointments... Ellovi Tinted Lip Butter (no color and weird texture), family member's scary hospital stays (cancer sucks), L'Oreal Voluminous Butterfly mascara (very perfume-y)


What were your favorite products this month?

No comments:

Post a Comment