Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The Runner's Rulebook

Author: Marc Remy
Completed: 11/16/09

This book is a humorous list of rules that a runner should live by. Examples include (paraphrased as I couldn’t remember the exact wording): Dogs are harmless, unless they’re not; and Get to know and love the snot rocket. It tries to give a glance at runner’s etiquette and yet also describes the contradictions that any list of rules inherently has.

Let me preface this part by saying that I am not a runner, but for years now I have been an “athletic supporter” for my husband. His life revolves around running, thus so does mine. And because I am a voracious reader, any books on running he reads get passed along to me. Therefore, even though I most certainly am not a runner, I have enough background on the subject to understand the inside jokes and parts specifically geared toward runners.

Now then, this book was hilarious. I could totally see the rules playing out, particularly in the section on races. The list of guidelines at the end of the book were also very helpful, and some can even be applied to non-runners or non-running events. Overall, a good book that can probably be enjoyed by all, even if not involved in running.

10 words or less: You’re not a runner if you don’t untie your shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment