Friday, December 25, 2009

Running with Scissors

Author: Augusten Burroughs
Completed: 12/14/09

This book is a memoir by the brother of John Elder Robison, of whom I've already discussed his book Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's. This tells of the time after Robison left home and it was Burroughs and his mother. His mother was mentally unstable and spent the majority of Burroughs' childhood in and out of psych wards. Eventually, he winds up getting intimately involved with the family of his mother's psychiatrist and spends very little time with her.

Not only could I not put this book down, but it was a very quick read. I was flying through this book and able to read several medium-sized chapters during a 30 minute train ride. This book reads like fiction. The circumstances relayed and the provided stories are so out there that you think they can't possibly be true. I guess the saying that “truth can be stranger than fiction” really is true in this case.

Upon completion of this book, I went and looked up the other books by Burroughs and decided I just had to read them. They have now been added to my extensive reading list, and I am looking forward to getting to them.

10 words or less: Truth really is stranger than fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment