Thursday, December 3, 2009

SYTYCD

View Date: 12/1/09

Tonight was the first performance show featuring the top ten dancers, who will be going on tour after the end of the season. The pairs were split, and each new couple had to perform two paired routines. Additionally, each of the dancers had to perform solos in their own style.

Note: I did miss the first part of the show and reviewed it on tape. However, the tape ran out prior to me getting home, so I will comment on only the dances I was able to see for myself.

Note 2: I didn't like not getting the peek into the studios during the rehersals. I really missed the background glimpses of the routines, and getting a peek into the choreographers' minds about their inspiration.

Noelle and Ryan #1: Tabitha and Napoleon hip hop routine. This was a take on the office romance theme, or even just a little messing around where you work. There were some great props in use throughout the routine, but some of the best parts didn't use any. There were some very interesting moves, and the dancers had great chemistry.

Ashleigh and Legacy #1: Gary Steward contemporary. I didn't really feel this coupling, and it was also off to see this type of contemporary routine. Usually they are not put to techno music, and it was really rather slow. Good end pose, though.

Mollee's solo: Surprised to learn that Mollee was in all three HSM movies. Mollee seems to always give great solos, and tonight was no different. She is so unlike most female contemporary and jazz dancers seen on this show. She uses upbeat music, and is more than just spins and leg lifts. She may not be the best dancer on the show, but she can put together a solo. You can always tell how much she loves to dance when she's up there by herself.

Russell's solo: Krumping can be really hard to do solo, but he succeeds every time. I love watching him perform, and think he should stay in the competition for a long time. He also seems to be one of the most personable competitors this season.

Kathryn and Nathan #1: Spencer Lith Broadway. She was the spitting image of a classic movie dancer- great costume, great makeup, perfect dancing. My eyes were so focused on her that I barely noticed Nathan on the stage. The few times I made myself look at him, he seemed to be doing very well.

Noelle's solo: Standard female contemporary solo with a really bad aerial cartwheel in the middle. Not much more to say about it.

Ellenore and Jakob #1: Tony and Melanie Quickstep. This was a cute routine, and the steps seemed to be executed pretty well. I did notice some bobbles by Ellenore, but overall I thought it was good. I also liked the slight bit of story involved in that they were performing in a Quickstep contest.

Ryan's solo: Honestly, it was one of his better solos, but I'm not sure how the Scorpions are going to go over with the audience.

Kathryn's solo: Another pretty standard female contemporary solo. Can you tell I'm getting pretty tired of these?

Mollee and Russell #1: Mandy Moore Lyrical Jazz. I love the fact the Mandy Moore uses music I've heard before in her routines. This was a beautiful number and seems to be a great partnership. The choreography was unique for this style, and these two could really pull it off.

Nathan's solo: This time a male contemporary solo with a little more to it. I think Nathan has learned from his previous weeks at the bottom.

Noelle and Ryan #2: JT and Tomas Smooth Waltz. The routine was rather pretty for a waltz, but I am really not a fan of this style. Ryan is an excellent partner due to his training, and Noelle is an elegant dancer in almost everything she does.

Ellenore's solo: I loved this quirky little dance. She really separates herself from the other contemporary and jazz dancers not just by her dance moves but also by her music selections. I really wish she would be able to use it more in her partner routines.

Ashleigh and Legacy #2: Dave Scott hip hop. Not really sure what to think about this routine. It really didn't seem like there was a lot of dancing, and Nigel said as much. This coupling didn't work in this routine for me.

Kathryn and Nathan #2: Tony and Melanie Rhumba. Compared with how much I dislike the waltz, I usually really enjoy the rhumba. Kathryn tried hard to be sexy, but I just didn't buy it at all from Nathan. I also agree with the judges that I didn't feel chemistry from these two.

Legacy's solo: It always amazes me how unique he can be. While we've seen most of the moves before, he puts them together in unique ways. He does perform moves that haven't been seen on this show before. This time, he performed to a song very atypical of his B-boy style, and you could really see a musicality in his performance. You could see just by this one routine just how much he has already grown over the season.

Ellenore and Jakob: Sonya contemporary. So maybe I spoke (or typed) too soon when commenting on Ellenore's solo. It looks like all she needed was to work with Sonya. This was so totally her number, and Jakob is just purely a phenomenal dancer. I could totally believe the roles they were playing, and felt the kind of chemistry I was supposed to from this routine. It is so nice to hear Nigel race as much as he did, and I totally agree. Excellent! It even garnered a standing ovation, a wave, and all sorts of crazy dancing from the judges.

Ashleigh's solo: Not the best solo I've seen, but pretty good for a ballroom dancer. If her fringe could have been shorter, I think it may have been better and showed off her actual moves more.

Mollee and Russell #2: Pasha and Anya Jive. These guys seemed to have fun out there, even if the major lift in the middle of the routine was really awkward. Russell's ballroom skills have drastically improved, and the judges also seemed to like it. I agree with Nigel that these two are really great performers. The partnership worked well, and these guys did show a significant amount of chemistry.

Jakob's solo: Standard slow emo-like music for a male contemporary dancer, and of course beautiful lines. But honestly, with how great a dancer we all know he is at this point, the solo was pretty weak.

10 words or less: First routines generally better than seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment