Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Southern Vampire / Sookie Stackhouse Series

Author: Charlaine Harris

Includes:
Dead Until Dark- Completed 6/23/09
Living Dead in Dallas- Completed 7/8/09
Club Dead- Completed 7/9/09
Dead to the World- Completed 8/4/09
Dead as a Doornail- Completed 8/5/09
Definitely Dead- Completed 8/7/09
All Together Dead- Completed 8/10/09
From Dead to Worse- Completed 8/11/09
Dead and Gone- Completed 8/12/09

I realize I have already written on several of these books, but I have 6 more to write so I decided to group them all together.

This series, by Charlaine Harris, is the basis for the HBO series True Blood. It is about a young waitress, Sookie Stackhouse, who has the unusual gift of telepathy. She struggled with this situation all her life until she meets a vampire, Bill Compton. As the story progresses, she learns that there are other supernatural creatures in this world, and forms personal relationships with many in her area.

Her talent helps her in many ways. She has used it to help friends and family, keep herself out of as much danger as possible, and even rescued people after a disaster. Unfortunately, her gift as well as her relationships with her supernatural friends has made her a target for violence and even several assassination attempts.

So far in the series, we have encountered vampires, shape-shifters, were-animals including werewolves, fairies, witches, and demons. We have also seen various attacks and battles, including: humans vs. vampires, Fellowship of the Sun vs. vampires and vice versa, werewolf packmaster trials, witch vs. vampire/werewolf and retaliation, vampire vs. vampire, werewolf vs. werewolf, and faerie vs. human. Yet Sookie, Bill, Eric, Pam, and Sam lived to tell about it.

I have loved reading this series. It really drew me in, and I haven’t been able to put the books down since. Unfortunately, I will now have to wait until May to read the next one. The characters are enjoyable, because they are generally good creatures but have their flaws as well. I find myself laughing out loud and cheering at various parts of each book, and there is plenty of action available. While some of the situations have been predictable, and some of the predicaments Sookie encounters could have been prevented, the last book really surprised me.

Sookie is absolutely a doll to read about. She started out as a relatively naïve Southern girl, but her experiences have taught her much about the world. People in her town who have shunned her in the past due to her unusual ways have come to trust and rely on her abilities, no matter how grudgingly. She has always been headstrong and opinionated, and stands up to people or creatures that others wouldn’t dare to defy. Yet that is what endears her to many of the supernatural beings she encounters. She has been deceived and tricked, but she manages to keep living despite the cards being stacked against her.

Now, I have always loved vampire stories. I devoured Ann Rice and the Twilight series. But I believe I enjoyed these books even more. The humor really sets this series apart, and the stories are page turners. I wouldn’t say these were the most thought-provoking books I’ve ever read, but I certainly enjoyed them immensely.

10 words or less: Vampire lovers: Read these. You won’t be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment