Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Hedwig and the Angry Inch

View Date: 6/2/09

I enjoyed this movie as much as I expected I would. I have enjoyed John Cameron Mitchell in everything I've seen him in, especially his interviews. And I can totally see why various bands are covering the songs from this movie. This movie is definitely not for the faint of heart nor the sexually repressed. John Cameron Mitchell is brilliant as Hedwig, and he definitely wrote and directed an excellent film. The music really worked in the story line, and the story progressed through the use of song. This movie is the epitome of the modern musical, along the lines of RENT (which gets some great references throughout the movie). It is smart, funny, unique, and campy in a good way exactly when appropriate. JCM is a huge talent, and I look forward to seeing and hearing much more from him. He is truly a unique voice today. This movie could have devolved into purely a drag show, but it showed so much more. It reminds us that everyone has a story that influences who we are, but we are all people in the end. And the sing-along segment made the movie just that much better.

Review in 10 words or less: Fun, unique, compelling, campy yet touching.

No comments:

Post a Comment