Wednesday, June 24, 2009

SYTYCD

View Date: 6/24/09

This week's competition episode showcases the top 16 dancers. Cat's dress looks really good on her, but it does make her look really flat. The guest judge tonight is Toni Basil, best known for the song "Mickey", but is also a world-renowned hip-hop and pop choreographer.

Karla and Jonathan: This couple started off the night with a Dave Scott hip-hop routine. This is a rare appearance for Dave Scott, so we'll see how the routine looks. I absolutely couldn't keep my eyes off of Karla. She just really seemed to get the music and routine, it just really seemed to work for her. Jonathan was basically invisible to me, and when I did see him, he was pretty bad. Nigel just really doesn't seem to like smooth hip-hop routines. (Mom- Jonathan did the steps, but he didn't do it with his heart and soul.) I really think that the judges should have looked at them a little bit more as separate dancers, but I understand that they are still being judged as couples. I fear for this couple, but I really think he brought the whole routine down.

Asuka and Vitolio: This couple performed a Mandy Moore jazz routine. Parts of the routine were phenomenal, including the lifts. They were relatively in unison throughout the routine, and I thought that it was pretty good overall. Mary was right that they really got into the characters given to them by the choreographer. I also agree with the judges that this couple is developing their chemistry well. They may not have had the instant chemistry of some couples, but it is growing each week.

Melissa and Ade: This couple danced a Tony Meredith rumba. This couple is just gorgeous! The routine was beautiful, almost too beautiful for words. I usually enjoy rumba routines, and tonight was no difference. This couple should make it to the top 5, and may even be the couple to beat. He may have struggled during the rehersals, but he is a fantastic partner in a very masculine way, and she uses it to both of their advantages.

Janette and Brandon: This couple is dancing a Dave Scott hip-hop routine. You know, I always like it when they use a throne as a prop (leftovers from the two princes routine?). (Mom- they're hitting it, and they have the synchronization.) This was a much more hard-hitting routine, but they also performed their routine so much better than the other hip-hop couple. I do agree with Nigel that they did outstanding jobs for being so far outside of their element.

Kayla and Kupono: This couple is dancing together for the first time, competing with a Jean Marc Genereux Viennese Waltz. This was a very pretty routine, and they seemed to work really well together. The backdrop as well as her dress were both very nice for the routine, and she is also absolutely stunning. The only flaw I saw in the routine was a few of the couple-based turns had some bobbles. Based on the routines we've seen so far tonight, I think this couple might be safe. But considering what happened last week, you never can tell what America will do.

Randi and Evan: This couple is dancing a Mia Michaels contemporary routine tonight. I'm wondering how her husband feels about this routine. I thought that it was fun, and not like most Mia Michaels routines. I really enjoyed this, and this couple really plays characters well. A really enjoyable routine overall, and I agree with pretty much everything the judges said. The routine totally transported me to France, and I could just picture a couple strolling along a river in Paris. And while Melissa and Kayla are stunning, Randi is adorable.

Caitlin and Jason: This couple danced a Jean Marc Genereux Paso Doble. Their costumes look very much out of the Roman gladiator arena, and it was very nice to see a routine using this music. It could have been a very powerful dance, and definitely had the makings of one, it was once again dragged down by her. She was quite weak, and could have been so much sharper. For some reason, the judges are really liking her, but I just don't see it. I think that if they make it to the top 10 dancers, he will be much stronger without her.

Jeanine and Phillip: This couple is dancing a Tyce DiOrio broadway routine. Ooh, another prop! (Mom- He made the jump over the couch look effortless.) He's not making the same kind of faces with the lifts this week, either. (Mom- He looks a little like Jerry Lewis.) He danced well even through the split pants. I enjoyed this routine, but I do agree with some of what the judges said. I thought that, when looking back over the routines, it was one of the weaker dances.

Top three couples: Melissa/Ade, Janette/Brandon, Randi/Evan

Bottom three: Karla/Jonathan, Caitlin/Jason, Jeanine/Phillip

10 words or less: And in the end, they all played with feathers.

No comments:

Post a Comment