Friday, June 19, 2009

Your Heart Belongs to Me

Author: Dean Koontz
Completed: 6/18/09

This was a stand-alone book that follows Koontz's general suspense layout, with spooky things happening throughout the story that may be due to the supernatural. The story was split into three parts. Unfortunately, I thought this story really dragged through part one and most of part two. While somewhat interesting, it had to provide the background of the characters, but didn't really make me get involved with them. The parts where the main character was suspicious were somewhat intriguing, but I believe it took me several weeks to get through the first half of the book. It just didn't grab me.

Then, I read the last 150 pages in less than a day. The story definitely picked up, and the supernatural aspect was also explored more. I started to feel for the main character like I was there with him. All of the supernatural phenomenon are explained in what I will call the culminating scene, considering the last chapter seemed more like an epilogue to me. I was right there with the character, feeling every hit of a bullet, experiencing the flickering light of candles and oil lamps, etc.

The last chapter was absolutely exquisite. It left me very satisfied, and made me wish the first part of the book had grabbed my attention sooner just so I could get to that point.

Overall, the book was OK because the first part was cumbersome, but the end was thoroughly satisfying.

10 words or less: OK, but fantasticly satisfying ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment