Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Viewing for June 1, 2009

I picked some really bad movies to watch today. Luckily, I interspersed them with good ones. Also, so you don't think that all I do is watch movies and TV, I am currently working on two books, one as a hard copy and one on audio. I will report on them when I finish. Likewise, for series available on Netflix, I will generally report on them once I have completed the entire set. However, there may be some exceptions to this.


Mr. Woodcock

Woodcock is a very appropriate name for this movie. It was awful. I think I cracked a smile once through the movie, which is really bad for something claiming to be a comedy. I really like most of the actors who starred in it, but it just didn't work. Definitely one to skip.

Review in 10 words or less: Waste of an hour and a half.


Night At the Museum

This was a fun movie filled with a spectacular cast and a delightful story line. Such a huge cast of over-the-top comedians, and all of the characters worked really well together. Yet, in spite of the talent, the animals really stole the show. Loved seeing T. Rex as a dog playing fetch with its own rib. Also, a really nice twist with the stolen tablet story. While this movie is made for families, it is truly enjoyable for adults alone because of the wonderful comedy involved. Also, very nice for history buffs. While I have not checked all of the facts, the general ideas follow the history we were taught. One of the other parts of the film I really enjoyed was how Ben Stiller's character used the information he learned by doing research on his wards.

Review in 10 words or less: Lots of fun for kids and adults alike.


Fast Forward

Bad 80's fashion. Bad 80's music. Bad 80's dancing. Kids from Ohio travel to New York, learn the latest dance moves, and suffer through living young dancers for a few weeks. I was expecting a lot more from this film. I think I have loved every musical I have ever seen. I'm a huge fan of dance movies, and teen dramas regarding struggles for making it in the world. But this was just really bad. The plot was predictable, and everything worked out for the good guys in the end. The movie was made in 1985, and I believe it was trying to milk the musical scene that was huge at that time, and it just didn't work. Sidney Poitier (who directed), should be embarrassed to have his name associated with this film. Perhaps I am being too harsh of a critic on this one, as I am watching it 24 years after its initial release. But this movie did not stand up to the test of time.

10 Words or less: Skip it. Very disappointing.


I watched some Henry Rollins Uncut in South Africa, which is part of a series. I just love Rollins, and it was a great way to enjoy the end of the night after some really crappy movies. It was also a show I could listen to while writing this up, as you don't have to watch every second of it to enjoy it. I'll give a final review once I've finished the entire series.

No comments:

Post a Comment