Wednesday, June 17, 2009

SYTYCD

Mom is back as a guest reviewer for the top 18 dancers. Don't think I like Cat Deeley's dress tonight, but we have seen her in worse. Lil' C is the guest judge tonight. I really like him, because he knows his dancing and is quite intelligent. Not as good as Adam Shankman, but one of the better judges who also provides constructive criticism for the dancers while sounding like he knows what he's talking about.

Now on to the dancing!

Randi and Evan: This couple danced a jive tonight. Before the dance, this seems to be right up Evan's alley, even though it's not his style. Randi definitely has a personality that comes across on camera. Evan jumping over Randi got a "Woah" out of all of us. This was a really fun routine, which is what the dancers said they were going for. I love the "fun" counter that they have going through this number. The judges are cutting into Evan's technique somewhat, mostly because they thought he would be better than he was. But Randi definitely did outdance Evan tonight. I thought they were good, and a nice way to start the evening.

Melissa and Ade: This couple danced a jazz routine. Ade is one fine-looking man, and a really good dancer, too. And so powerful, the way he just whips her around! Not sure how I feel about the choreography, but I thought they danced the routine well. I just don't think I'm much of a fan of Sonia's work. (Mom- It will be interesting to see how he does with other partners. And he has a cute smile, too.) I also really like Melissa, and look forward to seeing more from her.

Caitlin and Jason: This couple is dancing a Shane Sparks hip-hop routine. You just gotta love a slow Shane Sparks routine- they tend to be the best. She is not bad, but she doesn't hit all of her moves. In my opinion, she still just annoys me. And her solo in the middle just doesn't really make sense to me. I think she's kind of bringing him down. I still like him, but he's moving down my list a little.

Janette and Brandon: This couple is dancing a disco routine. I fear for them, because I almost never like the disco routines. The flashing lights, while giving the atmosphere of a nightclub, are really distracting. The lifts are amazing, and there seems to be so much trust there between the partners. She covered her slip/trip well at the end. Pretty good for a disco routine, and I think that is because of the dancers. Their talent really shone through, and I think Brandon is finally getting some love from the judges.

Asuka and Vitolio: This couple danced at waltz. The look on his face tends to make him look like he is concentrating too hard. She doesn't really do lovely well; she pulls off overtly sexy much better. It was OK, but I don't know how it will hold up to the other dances tonight. They still didn't have a lot of chemistry together. The judges thought it was beautiful, but I just thought it was so-so.

Kayla and Max: This couple is dancing a Brian Friedman pop/jazz routine. (Mom- Brian Friedman is just weird. She doesn't look very princess-y to me. I don't like the dance in general, but I think they performed it well.) I thought that the dance was much more than I expected from the practice clips. It was odd, it was out there, but that is what made it interesting. I thought that they both did very well, and he's keeping up with her admirably.

Karla and Jonathan: This couple is dancing a contemporary routine by a new choreographer. Very pretty diving lift there, and I think he played his character well. I think I'm going to like this choreographer, because she incorporated many very interesting and unusual moves while still expressing the story. (Mom- I just felt that she was more mesmerizing with her expressions and the like.) The lifts and the combinations of the lifts were phenomenal, both the idea of them and the execution.

Jeanine and Phillip: Yay! A scientist is on the show! :) This couple danced a tango routine. She looks so sexy on that floor tonight that I really don't notice him out there at all. From what I can tell, he seems to be a little stiff, but she seemed unstoppable. Guess they must not have been able to get the higher lifts like they were showing in the intro video. The judges feel like his technique was way sub-par, and Lil' C feels that Phillip lacked confidence throughout the routine. I have to say, I agree with the judges on this one.

Ashley and Kupono: This couple danced a Shane Sparks hip-hop routine. Very interesting concept to this dance, at least the beginning. SOOOOOOO glad they got Shane Sparks back! Thought it was done well and they were in unison when needed, but I guess the judges disagree. I do agree that Ashley was better, but I also really like this couple.

There are definitely more options for the bottom three this week, including: Caitlin/Jason, Asuka/Vitolio, Jeanine/Phillip (though doubtful), and Ashley/Kupono. If it were me, I would get rid of Caitlin and Vitolio. They are great dancers, but probably the weakest this week.

10 words or less: Should be an easier decision this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment