Monday, July 27, 2009

Sense and Sensibility

View Date: 7/15/09

This film is a wonderful adaptation of a Jane Austen novel. Now, I am definitely not a a Jane Austen fan. However, this is one of several adaptations of her works that I have enjoyed. It is a story of three sisters and their mother trying to deal with life after their father/husband dies. They also have to deal with a nasty sister-in-law and a brother who bows to her every whim. The two older sisters meet men, people fall in love, and the meddling adults and neighbors try to set up the young or single people.

This movie makes me wonder just how many actors there are in England. It seems that they are all in either the Harry Potter series or a Hugh Grant ensemble movie, such as Four Weddings and a Funeral or Love Actually. But I jest. There are many, many familiar faces for those fans of the above movies, and they are some huge names, indeed. Included are Kate Winslet, Emma Thompson, Hugh Grant, and Alan Rickman.

As I said above, I enjoyed this movie. The accents were believable as they should have been with this cast. The actors all lived up to their reputations in this movie, and it seemed to keep with the feel of the books. From what I could tell, the story seemed to follow the original work, but it has been a long time since I last read this.

Overall, I enjoyed this. I probably will not watch it again because of the author, but it was not a bad experience, especially if you're in the right mood.

10 words or less: Excellent acting and casting improve on the author's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment