Wednesday, July 22, 2009

SYTYCD

View Date: 7/22/09

Tonight the top 8 dancers performed. Cat looked very nice tonight all shiny and golden with the slicked-back hair. The special judges tonight were Mia Michaels and Ellen Degeneres. I think this may be the first time we've had a guest judge that wasn't a dancer or choreographer. I do wonder, however, if she will say anything negative tonight. They are having a different week because Thursday night the 100th episode special show.

Group Dance: All of the dancers joined together for a Travis Wall high energy mixed-style number. The lighted costumes really make it stand out when someone is off in their movements. I mention this because there was a segment when Jason was off while dancing in the front and in the dark. But overall, this was a great routine, and Travis is an excellent choreographer. (Mom- Kayla really stands out with that very blond hair, and she seemed a little off at points.)

Evan and Janette's first dance: This couple performed a Sonia jazz routine. sonia really does pick music that most other choreographers on this show wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. I'm just not quite sure about this routine in general. (Mom- They are actually suited from each other. The costumes also work well. And Evan kept up with Janette well.) I thought the routine was performed well, but I'm not sure about the choreography itself. I'm really glad that the judges liked the performance, and I'm glad Evan stepped up tonight. I wasn't overwhelmed with this dance, so it will really depend on the other performances tonight.

Kayla's solo: Pretty dress which I wouldn't mind wearing on a night out. It was a somewhat different routine this week, but still in the standard female contemporary style that tends to bore me.

Brandon and Jeanine's first dance: This couple performed a Hunter Johnson waltz. Interesting choreographical move to start the dance in a lift. And Jeanine's dress was yet another gorgeous one tonight. I thought it was very pretty, and there didn't seem to be a single misstep. I agree with Mary in that it was a respectable routine, but probably could have been better. The music was very slow, and that could have been part of the problem.

Jason's solo: I didn't like this solo as much as I enjoyed other performances of his, but it was a lot livelier than most male contemporary solos. I don't think this compares to last week's solo, but it was a decent effort.

Ade and Melissa's first dance: This reunited couple performed a Tony Meredith Cha-Cha routine. She looked incredibly hot in that flaming dress. But honestly, I was a little disappointed in this dance. I thought they both needed to shake their hips more throughout the entire routine. Not my favorite routine by them, and it won't be that memorable in the long run. I think the only part I may remember is Melissa's dress.

Janette's solo: Not a good solo for her. It may have been to show her versatility, but being a salsa dancer, she needs to use faster music and show more skin.

Jason and Kayla's first dance: this couple performed a Tyce Diorio Broadway routine. Not the most exciting Broadway routine that's been performed on this show. I do think that Jason was a lot better, even though Kayla had the look for the piece. It is so nice that he is finally being given the chance to shine. Nigel commented that this was the best routine so far tonight, but I think that's because the other dances thus far have been rather weak. However, Jason's performance was the best of the evening at this point of the show.

Ade's solo: Winner of the most dynamic solo award!!! That was amazing, just downright amazing. He picks unusual music and manipulates his body in ways that the other dancers this season don't.

Evan and Janette's second dance: This couple performed a Tony Meredith rhumba. I'm a big fan of the rhumba in general. I think this was an amazing performance. Janette is a beautiful dancer, and Evan is doing wonderfully well tonight. I disagree with Nigel in that I think Evan did really well in this performance. There were times that he could have taken some of the smile off his face, and he doesn't seem to check out the girls during his numbers that is sometimes required.

Melissa's solo: She just isn't good at dancing solos. I understand she is a ballerina, but even with quicker music her dancing was really slow.

Brandon and Jeanine's second dance: This couple danced a pop jazz number. I thought this was a very good routine, and performed very well. Jeanine is an amazing dancer, and Brandon is still phenomenal. These two are still at the top of my list. They should both make the top four.

Evan's solo: Evan's solos are always so much fun. He does many of the same moves every time, but is thoroughly entertaining. He may not be the best dancer, but he is one of the most entertaining on this show ever.

Jeanine's solo: Since she has entered the top ten, she has definiely been one of the top female dancers for me. I can see why she made it so far. Every time I have seen her dance over the past two weeks shows me just how much she was held back by her partner previously.

Ade and Melissa's second dance: This couple performed a Tyce Diorio contemporary routine. This is much more what I expected from this pairing. They just needed a really good, emotional piece to let their talents shine. I did get the story from the dancing that was described in the practice tape. It showed how much they trust each other, and of course Ade's power. This routine reminded me a lot of Mia Michael's routine about losing her father. I actually totally agreed with Nigel's comments about this routine, and am moved by his emotions. Probably the best and most beautiful routine of the night. I said last week that you always know when a routine is good when the judges give it a standing ovation. Let me add that you can say the same when a routine brings the judges to tears.

Brandon's solo: I just love watching that man dance, especially shirtless. I think it was the most dynamic solo from the guys, and maybe one of the best of the night.

Jason and Kayla's second routine: This couple performed a Shane Sparks hip-hop number about zombies. I definitely would not have wanted to be performing this routine tonight, solely because they had to follow the breast cancer-inspired dance. That said, they did perform this well. It does seem kind of odd that Kayla keeps getting these very goth routines.

Definitely tough voting tonight. Some people I thought would definitely be going home came through in the end and had some amazing performances. Melissa and Ade had the weakest routine overall, and also had the weakest solos of the night. But then they did have the most emotional performance of the night as well.

10 words or less: The voting will be very tough tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment